HomeAir PollutionWhat Causes Indoor Air Pollution?

What Causes Indoor Air Pollution?

Indoor air pollution may not sound too serious, but it does contribute to some terrible diseases like, asthma, respiratory infections, and even lung cancer. You need to be very concerned with pollution indoors because lung disease, every year, claims 335,000 American lives. People constantly warn you of the harmful effects of giant factories, and exhaust from motor vehicles; however they do not often enough discuss the dangers of indoor air pollution. In addition to causing chronic lung problems, poor indoor air quality can cause headaches, nasal congestion, nausea, and dry eyes. It is especially dangerous for someone who already suffers from lung problems, to be exposed to indoor air pollution on a regular basis. You may never suspect it, but the quality of air in your home could easily be polluted by many biological pollutants. Many people get sick and miss days of school and work, when their illness could be prevented by keeping up with good quality air, in the home. You could have a number of biological pollutants in your air such as, bacteria, molds, pollen, viruses, dust mites, and even pet dander. There are many ways to keep things like mold out of your home, and the sooner you learn of these the better your life will be.

To help prevent the growth of various molds, in your home, you need to keep the humidity levels of bathrooms, kitchens, and basements low. This can be done by keeping good air flow in the rooms, and keeping them clean regularly. If your basement is high in humidity, you might need to buy a dehumidifier to keep it from turning into a mold factory. A major cause of indoor air pollution is cigarette smoke. It is especially terrible if a person smokes around non smokers like their children. Environmental tobacco smoke is known to cause 3,000 lung cancer deaths and at least 30,000 deaths from heart disease each year, in non smokers. Another cause of indoor air pollution, that can even cause death, is carbon monoxide. There are many appliances in the home that use gas or wood as fuel, including heating systems, which can release carbon monoxide into your home. This is a serious problem because carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that stops oxygen from getting to vital parts of the body. In mild cases it can cause dizziness, confusion, headache, and fatigue; however when inhaled in high doses it will cause death. You can get detectors for carbon monoxide which is the only way to know it is in your air. The best defense for indoor air pollution is research, combined with common sense choices.